Many people think aching in the legs and feet is a normal symptom from being on our feet all day or “over doing it”. This is not the case and is not what we should consider as normal.
The alignment of our bones in the body start from the feet up, so if our feet are not in the correct position this can cause the rest of our body to be “out of whack”.
Our feet support our entire body weight and the slightest misalignment can cause increased strain and force on our joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments. This can cause us pain, fatigue and ultimately can reduce our mobility affecting our overall health and well being.
Causes of Aching Feet and Legs:
- Abnormal functioning/ positioning of the feet, resulting in increased workload on muscles and tendons causing pain and fatigue
- Misalignment of feet can result in increased pressure and strain on our knees and back leading to an increased generalised ache when standing and walking
- Circulation complications ( i.e. venous insufficiency)
- Joint conditions such as arthritis
- Restless Leg Syndrome
Symptoms of Aching Feet and Legs:
- General aching in legs and/or feet
- Reduced mobility and fatigue
- Development of deformities, such as clawed toes and bunions from poor foot function
- Callouses and corns
- Lower back, hip and knee ache
- Heel pain
Treatment for Aching Feet and Legs:
- Customised foot orthoses to correct lower limb misalignment and improve function of gait
- Specific stretches and exercises
- Supportive footwear
- Vascular review if deemed necessary by the podiatrist whilst undertaking a neurovascular assessment of your feet
Proactive Podiatry will assess the anatomy and function of the feet and lower limbs when walking and standing, allowing for the effective diagnosis of the cause of pain in your feet and legs. They will also assess for any developmental deformities if relevant and put together an individualised treatment regime.
- Customised Orthotics and Arch Support Therapy
- Posterior Tibial Tendon Injury
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Dry Needling